Summer is the perfect time to indulge in the bounty of berries that are available to us at local farm stands and grocery stores. Here is a delicious way to enjoy a variety of berries all at once while savoring the comfort of a flaky baked dessert.
Berry Slab Pie Recipe
- 1/2 of 17.3 ounce package frozen puff pastry, thawed (1 sheet)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 1/2 cups fresh assorted berries (like blueberries, raspberries and blackberies)
- 1 egg
- 2 tabelespoons water
- Coarse sugar (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. On a lightly floured surface, roll thawed puff pastry into a 15×12-inch rectangle. Transfer to the parchment-lined baking sheet; set aside.
2) In a medium bowl, stir together the 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, and ginger. Add berries to sugar mixture, and gently toss to coat.
3) Spoon berry mixture onto one crosswise half of the prepared puff pastry, spreading evenly to one inch from the edges. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water. Brush some of the egg mixture on the uncovered edges of the pastry.
4) Fold over the uncovered pastry half to enclose the fruit. Using a fork, firmly press together edges of top and bottom pastry to create a seal. Brush the top of the pastry with the egg mixture and sprinkle with coarse sugar (if desired). Cut two to three slits in pastry top.
5) Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is golden and filling is bubbly. Transfer to wire rack and let cool. Cut into bars. Makes 16 bars.
Recipe from “Better Homes & Gardens”